How to Select the Right Green Business Certification:
Green technology, also called green tech, is a sustainable and environmentally friendly technology that benefits the environment and ecosystems. Examples of green technology include renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, hydropower, energy-efficient appliances and buildings. Another example of green technology is green transportation options like electric and hybrid vehicles.
The goal of green technology is to enhance the quality of life while fostering a more sustainable future. In this article, we will discuss the various ways companies can obtain green certifications to win the approval of investors and customers.
The term “Green” in green tech
Technology that is ecologically friendly or has no influence on the environment is called “green” technology. By lowering gas emissions, conserving energy and water, and cutting back on waste, green technology aims to be environmentally friendly and lessen the harm caused by human activity.
Green business certifications
Green certifications are beneficial initiatives that can assist businesses in showcasing their sustainable practices to partners, customers, employees, and investors. To thrive and succeed, businesses must openly demonstrate their concern for the environment and social responsibility.
Types of green business certification
There are several certifications available for green technology products and services. Some of the most widely recognized certifications include:
1. Energy star: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) program that certifies energy-efficient goods, including buildings, electronics, and appliances.
2. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design – This certification called LEED offers a framework for constructing green buildings that are healthy, effective, and cost-effective and is available for almost all building types.
3. Carbon Trust Standard – is a top-tier, global accreditation that honours carbon-reduction best practices and accomplishments.
4. BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) – It is a certification that offers a certificate of assurance that the project assessment complies with the scheme’s requirements which is internationally recognized.
5. RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) – a directive of the European Union that limits the use of dangerous materials in electrical and electronic equipment.
These certifications support businesses in implementing greener practices and technologies.
How to select the right green business certification for your business
When Selecting the right Green Business Certification, it should be able to tick these boxes:
1. Recognized and relevant to your audience
2. Managed by a third-party organization and avoids financial conflicts of interest.
3. Has expert-developed and science-backed standards and guidelines
4. Has a clear and transparent certification process
5. Requires third-party testing or a comprehensive investigation
6. Provides support to certified businesses, including expert guidance during and after the certification process.
How to successfully complete a green business certification program
A dedication to sustainability and environmental responsibility is necessary for completing a successful green business certification program. The following procedures will assist you in completing a green business certification program successfully:
1. Research your certification options
2. Complete green business assessment
3. Prioritize the next steps and set goals
4. Engage employees
5. Set up your interaction seal and green profile webpage
6. Promote your accomplishments internally and externally.
7. Utilize marketing tools and resources
8. Measure your results and savings
9. Continue your journey to the next certification level.