Historically, the Middle East’s Renewable energy projects and energy industry has depended mainly on oil and natural gas for decades. These two energy sources accounted for more than 98% of the region’s supply as recently as 2019. However, only some countries in the area are working on the net zero carbon emission goals by diversifying energy assets. The region seeks to become a leader in the global renewable energy sector.
Between 2010 and 2020, the region’s clean energy capacity doubled to 40 GW, and many expect it to increase by another double in 2024. In addition, investors are paying more attention to clean energy. In early 2021, the region awarded contracts for clean energy projects totaling about $ 2.8 billion, creating plenty of job opportunities in the industry.
Find out five game-changing renewable energy projects that will change the future of energy in the Middle East.
Top 5 Exciting Renewable Energy Projects in the Middle East
Al Dhafra Solar Project
The Al Dhafra Solar project, situated in Abu Dhabi, UAE, is a 2GW photovoltaic (PV) independent power producer (IPP) owned by Masdar and Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA). While 60% of the project is managed under a public-private partnership (PPP) model, the remaining 40% is jointly controlled by EDF Renewables and Jinko Power.
The project is anticipated to cut CO2 emissions by around 2.4 million tonnes annually. It also includes newly installed solar panels that use crystalline bifacial module technology, increasing the yield by capturing light from both sides.
Shuaibah Two (2) Solar Facility
This is one of the Middle East’s largest and most significant renewable energy plans. It was established by an agreement with Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power and the Water and Electricity Holding Company. The Shuaibah Two project will be in the Mecca province of Saudi Arabia. It holds a capacity of 2060 MW and may be able to power about 350,000 residents by 2025.
Gulf of Suez Wind Power Project
The GW wind project, meant to be situated in Egypt, will be expected to reduce carbon emissions by about 2.4 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year. It is projected to begin commercial operations by 2026, and ACWA Power has estimated a $1.5 billion gain from the investment.
Hatta Wind Power Project
The Hajar Mountains’ Hatta has been chosen as the site of the UAE’s first wind farm, with an overall capacity of 28 MW. It is only at the feasibility study stage that DEWA can more accurately identify the farm’s total capacity and technical factors like the number of turbines and the average yearly working hours.
NEOM Green Hydrogen Project
Saudi Arabia’s NEOM is the world’s largest utility-scale commercial hydrogen facility that is entirely powered by renewable energy. Following Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 plan, the plant is estimated to supply about 600 tons of carbon-free energy (green ammonia) daily.